In treating stroke patients, need to be considered so that the treatment process or tahapam right on target:
- The acute phase: usually lasts between 4-7 days. Target patient survived
- Phase of recovery: after the acute phase had passed, the next is pemulihanyang phase lasts about 2-4 weeks. Target patient bekajar disturbed motor skills and learn new adjustments to compensate for limitations.
- Rehabilitation: target to continue the recovery process to achieve improved physical ability, mental, social and speaking skills.
- Phase Everyday life: after the acute phase is exceeded, then the preventive therapy to avoid recurrence of acute stroke.
Handling of hyperacute phase of stroke patients should be performed in a hospital. Actions taken at the hospital depends on the type and weight experienced a stroke. Patients may be encouraged to stay to find out the cause of the stroke. Although patients must stay in the hospital, does not mean a stroke will bring harm or disability. Stroke is not always predictable, and may take several days to find out clearly against the possibility further. Hospital doctors will take some action to ensure that the diagnosis was a stroke, not other diseases whose symptoms are similar to stroke such as brain tumors, epilepsy, migraine. The doctor will perform several checks:
- CT-scan (computerised tomography scanning)
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- ECG / EKG (electrocardiograph)
- EEG (electroencephalogram)
- Blood tests
- Angiogram or arteriogram
- Roentgen rays
State of the patient as a whole should also be considered include hemoglobin, electrolytes, albumin, cleanliness of the respiratory tract and urinary tract.