The diagnosis is usually based on the course of the disease and results of physical examination. Physical examination can help determine the location of brain damage. Inspection procedures to be performed should not much time for too long, for the sake of minimizing the loss of time between the onset of disease and the start of therapy.
CT-scan should be performed on sema patients with suspected acute stroke. CT-scan without contrast to distinguish ischemic stroke, hemorrhage and stroke. At the stroke of bleeding, lesions form hiperdens. While in ischemic stroke, lesions form hipodens or normal. It should be noted that about 5% of stroke subarachnoid hemorrhage CT-scan can be normal, so we need punksi lumbar examination. Cerebrospinal fluid in subarachnoid hemorrhage of blood red.
Some diseases that need to be considered because it has symptoms similar to acute stroke:
- Trauma to the head or neck
- Meningnitis / encephalitis (brain infection)
- Hypertensive encephalopathy / brain disorders due to hypertension
- Intracranial mass: tumor, hematoma
- The attack seizures with a temporary nerve disorder
- Migraine with temporary neurological disorders
- Metabolic Disorders: hyperglycemia, hypoglycemia, heart post-ischemia, toxic poisoning, endocrine disorders / myxedema, uremia
- Psychiatric Disorders
- Shock accompanied by hypoperfusion of the central nervous