Food can also be an important risk factor for other causes of cancer, particularly cancers of the digestive tract. Smoked and pickled foods increases the risk of gastric cancer. Instead, consuming foods high in fiber reduces the chances of colon cancer. Reduce fat to less than 30% of total calories would reduce cancer risk of colon, breast and prostate. Alcohol drinkers have a higher risk of esophageal cancer.
Examples of cancer-causing types of food substances, as follows:
- Coloring and preservatives in foods or beverages
- Heterocyclic amines (HCA) found in meats that are fried or baked
over a prolonged period so overcooked. HCA is a substance causes
cell mutations (mutagens), which stimulates the formation of free radicals. Free radicals or
These oxidants can damage DNA genes.
- Trans Fatty Products Acids as margarine, processed products
- Eggs are dry
- Metals such as mercury are often found in contaminated seafood such as:
shellfish, fish and so forth.
- Various processed foods are excessively sweet.